This week I have, like thousands of other students across the country, returned to the land of University in preparation for those things no one really like to talk about except in hushed tones, only between the hours of 9.00 and 6.00, with increasing amounts of panic and terror until one day when suddenly the world seems to be all calm, relaxed, and floaty again. Yes, it's exam season again. One would imagine that, in such an important period of time, the virtual lands of Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging sites would be left vaguely alone. To those who still think this is the case, I am sorry. I am sorry for tearing down your oh-so-very-wonderful, optimistic faith in the student population. Because, I find, during exam season, more than any other time (except perhaps the General Election), social networking sites become abuzz (definitely a word) with student activity. This is because ever since time began, at around May Day, people between the ages of 16 and 25 enter into a state that I like to call "Procrastination Anxiety".
Now let me explain: with the looming threat of exams lying menacingly just over the horizon, students start to realise that they, maybe, just maybe, should try and prepare. This sudden onslaught of productivity lasts for a while, usually between a few hours and a few days, until, not accustomed to this level of hard work, a reaction in the brain suddenly causes attention to be turned to finding other things to do instead. Everyone is familiar with procrastination. However, once all usual methods of procrastination have been found and carried out, there comes a moment when work really does seem like the only option. This is when Procrastination Anxiety sets in. The thought that all methods of procrastination have been used up causes an imbalance in the mind, and so students turn to their computers, desperate to show that there is still something they can achieve before work. This is where the neverending Facebook status updates and Tweets informing the world about the banal everyday things in life no one ever really wants to know, and the "I-had-nothing-else-to-do-so-I-started-a-blog" Blogs start appearing in force. This bombardment is, to the outside world, bloody annoying. But don't worry. It stops and normal online activity resumes around June/July once all exams are over.
Anyway, on with French Philosophy...or maybe I should check Facebook first?
No comments:
Post a Comment