Monday, 9 May 2011

A Not-So-New Addiction

So we're very definitely in exam time now. There are people pulling all-nighters, starting to panic, and go slightly insane with exam fever. I have infinite amounts of sympathy for those who have exams today, on the first proper day of sit-down exams, here in Exeter. May all the forces of nature look kindly upon you. I am also incredibly grateful that my first exam is not until Thursday.

Meanwhile, to help get me through this hideous time of trying to re-learn (or, in some cases, just learn) everything I am supposed to know, or might need to know (damn you oh-so-subjective literature degree), I have turned to my one unavoidable vice.

Confusingly in a "Hot Chocolate" mug...
Tea. During every other time of the year, I simply drink it as every normal person drinks it. Once, maybe twice - oh okay, three times - a day. But during exam time, gosh (I love the word 'gosh'). I chain-drink the stuff. Yesterday I managed to restrict myself to five cups, which actually isn't that bad. But today I've already had two and it's only 9.40am. If I could set up an IV linking me to a vat of tea, I would. And you know the best thing? I have no intention to stop. Because it is my view, that, along with pistachio nuts (the green ones), tea can cure all ills. Including the panic currently set in about iminent exams.

For those of you who may encounter me in the near future, there is a fool-proof way to calm me down if I look like I might be about to run around in a mild frenzy (I know there are a couple of you out there that will very definitely reference this sentence next time I see you. It was specifically for you :-P). A cup of tea. Any sort. But a good cup of traditional English Breakfast tea goes down a treat at any time of the day. Mmm. I'm more relaxed just thinking about it. Oh and some Beethoven wouldn't go amiss, either. Gotta love a bit of Ludwig (watch this space for some excitement about EUSO's ventures this term).

So for those with exams today, tomorrow, or indeed at any point in the near future, good luck, and good tea :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment