Anyway, ingredients are somewhat limited in my kitchen (poor student and all that), so I am constantly trying to make more exciting recipes using not very much, and in the last two days I have discovered the most amazing ingredient for frosting. This stuff:
Lotus Speculoos spread. I can't get enough of this stuff. Unfortunately, you can't buy it in the supermarkets over here, but I have a jar in my cupboard and it has truly helped keep me going through exam period. It's like any normal spread: peanut butter, chocolate spread etc, but tastes completely heavenly. It's amazing on toast, on pancakes, pretty much on anything. And I thought it would be amazing in frosting. And I was right. So I made an experimental batch of cupcakes with speculoos frosting, and they tasted amazing, so yesterday I decided on something bigger, something more elaborate. And oh my days was it worth it. So I'm going to share the recipe with you, in case you fancy giving procrasti-baking (or, indeed, just baking) a go. I didn't manage to take any pictures before it started getting eaten, but it's pretty, promise!
Chocolate Chip Sponge Cake with Speculoos Frosting
Ingredients
Chocolate Chip Sponge
200g butter, plus extra for greasing
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
200g chocolate (I used normal milk chocolate, but you can use whatever type you like)
Milk
Frosting
75g butter
150g icing sugar
3 large tsps speculoos spread
(The quantities here are very approximate - I just make butter icing to taste)
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 190C
2. Cream the butter and suger in a bowl until smooth
3. Beat in the eggs
4. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until just combined
5. Add a splash of milk until the mixture is smooth
6. Roughly chop about 165g of the chocolate and stir in, keeping the remaining chocolate to one side for later.
7. Pour into a baking tin (I used a 7" square sandwich tin) and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven) until well risen, golden brown, and a skewer comes out clean after poking it.
8. Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
9. Mix together the butter and icing suger until creamy. Add more sugar or butter to taste until the consistency is right.
10. Stir in the speculoos.
11. Cover the cake in the frosting (be as generous as you like!)
12. Grate the remaining chocolate over the top of the cake.
13. Serve (with a cup of tea, of course!)
Happy procrasti-baking! :-)
As the purchaser of the heavenly spread I feel I am deserved of a mention :-P
ReplyDeleteSilly name; wonderful taste. :P
ReplyDelete@Jenny: Of course you're worth a mention, you're always worth a mention <3
ReplyDelete