As you may be aware from this post, I am two things: a) extremely good at procrastinating, and b) a rather keen baker. However, my baking activity goes drastically downwards whenever I return home for the holidays. Mainly because my mum is a little over-protective of her kitchen (it is quite a nice kitchen), and due to a few...mishaps that have happened in the past (I was never as controlled with the bicarb or indeed quantities when I was younger. Many a time has the oven been covered in exploded cake batter), I find that unless I secretly bake in the middle of the night or before my mum gets in from work at lunchtime every day, and leave no evidence of any baking activity, it is easier to steer clear of the trays and cupcake cases when I'm at home.
However, this does mean, as I'm sure you can imagine, that I find myself, in my less-than-riveting village, away from so many of the people I love and spend time with, with a lot of time on my hands, and nothing with which to fill it. This summer in particular, with the lack of compulsory reading I have to do, seeing as I'm going away, I have found myself in a rather hollow abyss of nothingness.
I don't do well with nothingness. As I'm sure any other busyfidgetprocrastinatorperson (definitely a word!) will understand. And so I decided to take up a new hobby. That hobby? Knitting.
Yes, that's right. A few days ago I headed on over to HobbyCraft (I LOVE this shop), and purchased myself some knitting needles, some wool, and a basic pattern book. And I have to admit, I'm completely addicted. I've known the bare minimum required to be able to knit a few stitches since I was really young, but I can now actually knit things. Things that aren't just a large rectangle of garter stitches. In fact, just a couple of days ago, I made a baby hat for my hairdresser. I have never been so proud of a hat before. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but it was very cute. And now I am embarking on fingerless gloves. Woo.
My dad thinks I've transformed into a 90-year-old overnight. But I haven't, promise. It's wonderfully therapeutic. And just so simple! If I can pick it up that quickly, anyone can. So I recommend you try it. You'd be amazed at the hours you can spend just click-clacking away.
I'll keep you updated on these gloves :-P
I learnt to knit in my final year at uni to help with the stress! It's so much fun! Can't wait to see your creations.. :)
ReplyDeleteEr what? Knitting? Christ you must be bored, I can think of 1000 things I'd rather do! You're not meant to start knitting until you're at least 50. Much as I appreciate the sentiment, I shall not be donning the knitting needles, and I hope my boyfriend won't either...
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, cooking at night, I've heard that's the worst time to eat, very unhealthy, if I ever eat after 9pm it's always nothing more than a small piece of fruit, like a grape or a cherry. By the way, what's with all the colours, it takes away from the soul of the writing, and makes you wonder why you chose that colour as opposed to thinking about the words. By all means, I understand that it's your own blog, but I just don't get it (hehe louis walsh)
Hollow abyss of nothingness? Something of a tautology I feel. I'd have thought as an English student you'd avoid those like aids!
You should make yourself a nice bobbled hat for winter :D
KEEP BLOGGING!!!
Much <3
BLOGMEISTER 5000 out x
I'll have you know that many people I know who knit are far younger than 50. And as I have said, it is a brilliant distraction and wonderfully therapeutic.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, it is my blog :-P The colours are staying. And in case you get distracted from the words again, there is no reason for each colour: it simply goes red-orange-green-blue-purple-pink on words I feel like emphasising.
Tautology, maybe, but if I had just said "hollow abyss", or indeed just "nothingness" I feel it wouldn't have had quite the same meaning.
And I can tell you right now that the chance of me wearing a bobbled hat is about as likely as you eating cake at 11pm.
You know, with all the criticism, I'm surprised you keep reading :-P
Brenda is my name, blogging is my game!!
ReplyDeleteHello Gemma, to say i have been following your blogging closely would be an understatement, i follow your blogs with an almost obsessive passion, analysing your every word, sometimes reading each blog eight times. I notice the small nuances of your imaginative writing, and unlike the above blogger i personally think the colour scheme is rather splendid (however in the blogging community we must all respect each others views, for thats what makes us bloggers so blogtastic!!)
However i have been compelled to write to you today out of sheer frustration. I was in awe of the Procrasti-baking blog (definitely a word - i love it when you say that!!) for i too am a passionate chef. The blog oozed class, quite simply it was blogging at its most best!
Furthermore, the blog about people's perceptions of homosexuality really hit a chord with me. Until very recently i was a closet homosexual, i have been with my girlfriend, Aldonna, for years, however i have been forced to keep it a secret from my family. After reading your blog, i realised it didn't matter what people thought, all that mattered was what i wanted. So a few weeks ago i told my parents, they were shocked, disgusted, they haven't talked to me since. Yet if they can't appreciate who i am, then i don't need them.
I was hoping and praying you would write more blogs on such subjects yet instead i am forced to read blogs about Knitting! I feel you may be losing some direction with your blogs, i used to enjoy their unpredictable charm and English wit, yet this latest blog reeks of apathy. I appreciate your mind may be cluttered with thoughts on France but i really need your advice on what to do about my parents!!
Sorry if that last bit offends you slightly, but i hope you appreciate i have been going through some pretty tough times recently and i need your blogs to guide me through the darkness.
Brenda Rapeseed xx
Welcome Brenda!! It's good to see other people wading into the debate, and I feel that you've raised some excellent points. I think you're being a little naive with your we should all respect each others views, whilst doing research for my professional blog critiques I came across a blog claiming we should rid the world of all Taylor Swift fans. I actually am a big fan of the song Love Story, as it reminds me of when I met my boyfriend Mario, so I didn't respect that blogger. However, you seem like a likeable person, and I hope that you are able to pull through this difficult time. I know it can be hard for parents to accept who you are, but they'll come around in time I'm sure, they just need a bit of a chance to chew the cud as it were!
ReplyDeleteI notice you comment on the English wit, whereabouts are you from??
Gemma: I criticise because I care. Just like a film critic will criticise a director in the hope that the director can learn from his mistakes, a blog critic like myself is looking to find ways to help people to improve the way they communicate. Don't get me wrong, I think that this blog is often excellent, but like Brenda says, I feel your best work comes about from some of your more heartfelt writing, as opposed to the banal blogs about knitting...
I'll eat the cake if you make the hat! (as long as it doesn't contain nuts, I have a severe allergy!)
KEEP BLOGGING
Much <3
BLOGMEISTER 5000 x
Hi Brenda,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear you've been having troubles, and sorry if I have let you down in any way. You're right - I've been rather preoccupied, with various things including France, and I haven't really blogged in the way I began recently.
Blogmeister,
I know your criticisms are not meant in a non-constructive way: you caught me at a bad moment earlier. And I promise I won't ever feed you nuts :-P
To both of you, thank you, both for the compliments, and for the nudge :-)
However, I can't promise that my blog will not occasionally contain more banal ramblings about my every day life. This will, in the next year, turn into one of my principle connections with my life at home, and so may occasionally just be an update on my life! I will, however, try to keep the balance.
I hope, Brenda, that my newest post offers you some comfort, at least, and please always feel free to contact me personally if you want to talk about things - I'm known to be quite a good listener.
<3 x
I enjoyed reading about knitting--I tried to take it up a few years ago but failed miserably. Glad to know you've had more success than I did!
ReplyDeleteI like reading about ordinary, commonplace things and activities because pieces like this are so often vivid and tangible (the baby hat!!). While sometimes you may feel like you're not writing about deep enough topics, posts like these are snapshots of life; for me, the little frames are enjoyable to read as I discover the bigger picture. :)
Loved it.
So my Mum is in the process of teaching me how to knit...
ReplyDeleteBit of a scary coincidence! (Also, will expect a hat or scarf for Christmas :P)
Also, I would like to wade in and agree with Lady Wordsmith, that I enjoy the "ordinary" blog posts just as much as the slightly more existential ones, mainly because they are so "vivid and tangible" (Sorry to steal a phrase, but it's been put so beautifully already!) and I can actually visualise you doing these things.
As much as constructive criticism is a wonderful thing for bloggers young and old alike, I think that there still needs to be a certain amount of tolerance when it comes to other peoples' choices about their blogs, and perhaps a little less abruptness that could be construed as rudeness when offering opinions that weren't necessarily asked for. I know that Gemma is made of stronger stuff than to run for the hills at the first sign of disagreement, but some fledgling bloggers may not take such remarks with the same pinch of salt, and I don't think that people should take it upon themselves to discourage writers of any level of ability.
xx