Sunday, 31 July 2011

Review: Alan Carr, Warm-up Tour (29th July, The Anvil, Basingstoke)

When I first found out that Alan Carr's one-night-only gig in my home town was a "work in progress" show, I was, admittedly, a little sceptical. However, as a fan and general comedy-lover, I decided to go along with my parents anyway.

And oh my, was it worth it. Never before have I been to a comedy gig where almost the entire audience were laughing at every single crack. And when I say laughing, I mean sides-hurting, tears-rolling, doubled-up laughing. Even the old lady behind me, who had a telephone call before the show and informed her son that she was going to see "Adam Carter", was sniggering away.

A mixture of anecdotal cracks and the traditional comedian show jokes is one of the things that gives Alan Carr his charm. Combine that with his clean, genuinely funny humour and his drama-degree showmanship, and you really do have a first-class comedy performance. Engaging an audience when you are alone under stage lighting is no mean feat, but he really does do it with style, proving that he deserves his successful TV and stage career.

Even with a slightly over-enthusiastic audience (to say the least...), Alan still kept his cool and his quick-off-the-mark responses were enough to keep the whole theatre entertained. A great show, and very polished performance, which is sure to mean his UK tour this autumn will be fantastic. My advice to anyone would be to grab tickets if you can.

1 comment:

  1. I've never really been that into Alan Carr (Or Adam Carter - lol!) but maybe I'll check him out some more after this... :) Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete