Friday, 20 July 2012

Dancing like a crazy person through life.

^^Literally.

My life has turned, in a few short weeks, into a spinning whirlwind of textbooks, timetables, meal duties, and excursions. Oh, and discos. Lots of discos (see below for the dance of all dances that happens at least three times each disco night).


Other than that, I teach four classes a day, consisting of children of varying ages, varying nationalities, and varying enthusiasm, about topics such as "Culture", "Music", "Green Issues", and anything else you can think of that might appear in a language textbook. There have been a fair few challenging moments, and not being able to default back into the students' native language has been hard. It's bloody hard work, but lots of fun too :-)

Teaching children of different nationalities is an interesting experience, as they have all been taught different things. Some have had grammar drilled into them, some can speak almost perfectly but can't write down coherent sentences, and others can write beautifully but can't have a conversation. Trying to cater for all the different needs in a class is a challenge, but one that has (and is) teaching me a hell of a lot, about teaching in general as well as EFL teaching. I'm going to be really sad to see my current classes leave on Tuesday, but I'm also excited to see the new lot come in, to try out some of my tested methods, and bin the ones I realise don't work!

EF: Language, Friends, and Fun. And a large bubble almost separate from the real world, where I get called Hemma, Yemma, and Jenma.

No comments:

Post a Comment