Friday, 28 October 2011

"T'inquiète pas si on passe devant tes fenêtres et on prend tes volets..."

So I have officially been here for 1 whole month :-) Gradually getting used to everything that France throws at me, even if I do still spend time frantically lip-reading and trying not to look stupid (and failing, quite a lot...).

I suppose quite a lot has happened since I last updated you all on the behaviour of my delightful collégiens. I taught three full classes by myself last Wednesday, which was simultaneously the most terrifying and also one of the best things I've done. I had a whole room, to myself, where I could organise the tables, and write on the board, and stand up, heaven forbid. I did, however, shout. Properly. I full on let rip at the 5eme who were, up until that moment, my favourite class. They seriously went down in my estimations after they had a paper-throwing competition and someone threw a pair of scissors across the room. Who throws scissors?!

Other than that, the classes went surprisingly well, and I left relatively unscathed, with what I hope is a bit more respect (I'm not going to get my hopes up too much, though). It's half-term now, so I haven't had to do anything for a while, really, and I've been enjoying the break.

Well, except for the constant banging and drilling that has been going on. Not only is every road in Basse-Normandie seemingly under construction, so is the Foyer. Every morning, without fail, a white van appears and men get out of it, disappear, and make noise. Throughout the week they have been getting steadily closer to my room, and I've built up such a complex about it now that this morning I got up early and got dressed, just in case one of them tried to get in my room and found me asleep. This did not happen, however, and I even had the pleasure of talking to one of them through my window earlier, when he informed me that it wouldn't be until next week when I needed to worry...

Had an interesting experience last Wednesday when I talked myself into going to the "Soirée crêpes" in the common room, walked in at the appropriate time, said "bonsoir", and was completely ignored by everyone present. I kid you not, the French, renowned for being the most greety people in the world (I have been kissed by hundreds of people I don't know since arriving), completely ignored my existence and didn't even say hello. Needless to say, after 5 minutes, I left. I'll find some friends elsewhere.

Wind band and choir continue to be lovely, even if the other members of the alto section in Arpador think I'm a bit above my station after I tried to correct the conductor's rhythm... I was later congratulated by a soprano so I think it's fine... :-S

Other than that, I've been mulling along in a vaguely French fashion, waiting for the horrible weather to hit, as I hear that everyone back in the South-West has been under water for a lot of the time recently... Not a lot else to say, will put pictures from visit to Bayeux on Tuesday up soon :-)

Love to everyone back home, missing you lots, would be lovely to hear all about your lives too *ahem* :-P

Biz xx

P.S. I realise that my blog has descended into a diary. I will write something more interesting and vaguely topical soon, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment